user_mobilelogo

Sights to see in Bruck an der Mur

Architectural gems significant in terms of cultural history in Styria

The Upper Styrian county seat of Bruck an der Mur situated in Styria, is a city of many faces. First referred to as "ad pruccam" in 860 A.D. the origins of these guises are certainly much older.  The trading town at the confluence of the Mur and Mürz rivers was destroyed by fire several times but its many architectural gems, significant in terms of cultural history, and all of its recreational facilities, bear witness to the wealth and the relevance of the city. You will see: There are many sights in Bruck an der Mur.

The Kornmess Residence with its Venetian façade

The Kornmess Residence

The Kornmess Residence on the main square in Bruck, with its magnificent façade harking back to Venetian architecture of old, is among the most exquisite secular buildings of the late Gothic period in Austria.

The Wrought Iron Well on the main square in Bruck

The Wrought Iron Well

The Wrought Iron Well, its charm enhanced by the Renaissance-style pergola perched on it as a crown, is one of the most significant examples of wrought iron work in Styria.

City Hall and its Arcade Courtyard in Bruck an der Mur

City Hall and its Arcade Courtyard

This building has served as Bruck's City Hall since October 1629.  It combines the past and the present by linking the artistic heritage of the city to its modern annex.

The clock Tower on the castle hill

The Castle Hill in Bruck

The once mighty Castle of Landskron, which has existed since at least the 13th century and was rebuilt during the 16th century, was completely destroyed by the devastating Great Fire of 1792.

The Marian Column

Die Mariensäule am Hauptplatz

1710 von den Bürgern errichtet, um die Stadt vor den 3 Plagen Pest, Feuer und Hochwasser zu schützen. Auf der höchsten Säule steht die Heilige Maria.

The Apothecary Building

Das Apothekerhaus mit Innenhof

Eine Apotheke mit langer Tradition - seit 1715. Die zweigeschossigen Säulenarkaden des Innenhofes stammen aus der Zeit um 1530. Das Haus wird heute als Wohngebäude genutzt.

The Fabrizius Residence

The Fabrizius Residence and its interior courtyard

The Fabrizius Residence, named for hammer mill patrician Georg Albinus Fabrizius, who lived here at the beginning of the 17th century and is one of the oldest buildings on the main square.

The Master Raftsmen's Residence

The Master Raftsmen's Residence

The building dating from the 16th century, for decades under the ownership of master raftsmen, recalls the significance of the Mur as a waterway.

The Antauer Residence

Das Antauerhaus

Einer der bedeutendsten Gebäude der Brucker Innenstadt. Anfang des 19. Jahrhunderts ließ ein Brucker Arzt, ein für damalige Verhältnisse, modernes Sanatorium errichten.

The city fortification of Bruck an der Mur

The City Fortification

The medieval town was surrounded by a mighty wall that was protected by 12 towers.

The Baderhaus

The Baderhaus

Unearthed during renovation work carried out in the year 2000, the former bathhouse, dating from the 16th century, has two boiler foundations in good condition, water lines, a domestic well, the remains of a central heating system as well as of an oven.

The Gothic Stone Cross

The Gothic Stone Cross

The approximately eight-meter tall, four-sided wayside shrine with fluted corner pillars and four pointed arch niches with tracery decorations in which there were originally four figures, dates from the 15th century.

Die Bürgerspitalskirche St. Martin

The Church of St. Martin

There is documentary evidence dating from the beginning of the 14th century on the Public Hospital, a building complex that consisted of several sections; the church was added in the 14th and 15th centuries.

The Church of St. George at the Pögl Manor

The Church of St. George at the Pögl Manor

The church is first mentioned in 1066 as being a proprietary church of the Eppensteiner family. Lovely tendril paintings dating from around 1520/30 and the depiction of the Fourteen Holy Helpers dating from 1511 make the church noteworthy.

The Church of the Minorites

The Church of the Minorites

The Gothic structure converted to the Baroque style dating from the 13th century is situated at the end of the pedestrian district and is visible along the length of the lane, Mittergaaturpfades.

The Parish Church

The Parish Church of the 13th century

Built in the last quarter of the 13th century to replace a Romanesque structure

Die Filialkirche St. Ruprecht, die älteste Brucker Kirche

The Daughter Church of St. Ruprecht

The oldest church in Bruck can be traced back to its foundation by the Archdiocese of Salzburg in the 9th century.

Church of the Holy Spirit in Bruck an der Mur

The Church of the Holy Spirit

Originally built as a Trinity Church, it became a part of the hospital for the plague in the 15th century.

The Electric Power Station

The Electric Power Station

The City of Bruck was ablaze with light for the first time at the end of December 1903 thanks to its new Electric Power Station that had taken less than one year to build.

The Roman Bridge in St. Dionysen

The Roman Bridge in St. Dionysen

The stone bridge, located somewhat off the major traffic pathways through the Mur Valley, presumably dates from the 2nd century AD.

FacebookYouTubeInstagrambruck bloggerBuchen / Bookingtripadvisor

Partly Cloudy

14°C

Bruck / Mur

Partly Cloudy

Humidity: 59%

Wind: 11.27 km/h

  • 19 Apr 2018

    Mostly Sunny 22°C 4°C

  • 20 Apr 2018

    Sunny 22°C 7°C

Contact

Tourism Association of Bruck an der Mur
Herzog-Ernst-Gasse 2
8600 Bruck an der Mur
T. +43 3862 30601
info(at)tourismus-bruckmur.at

Opening hours

Monday – Thursday
8.00 am – 16.30 pm

Friday
8.00 am – 12.00 pm